U. of C., Penn State, Pitt Clash on IC4A Track at Stadium Friday; Lightbody Crimson Hope

Ewell, Blouis, and Dugger Standonts as 64th Annual Meeting Ends Year

The bitter battle of University of California, Penn State, and University of Pittsburgh for the team title, and the individual exploits of Barney Ewell of Penn State, Al Blozis of Georgetown, Ed Dugger of Tufts, and Jim Lightbody of Harvard will divide attention at the 64th Annual I.C.A.A.A.A. Outdoor Track and Field Championships in the Harvard Stadium on Friday and Saturday, May 31 and June 1.

The cream of the intercollegiate crop of track and field stars was to be culled from this meet for the 1940 Olympic Games in Finland, but with total war raging in Europe and the Olympics called off, the colorful outdoor I.C.A.A.A.A. Meet will provide a grand finale to a remarkable track and field season.

Close Team Fight

Although Southern California and Stanford, the Pacific Coast's two top teams, will be unable to compete because of examinations, the meet promises as close a team fight as there has been in a decade and an orgy of record breaking seldom equalled in any intercollegiate meet. Southern California ran up the unprecedented total of 71 1/2 points in winning last year. There will be no such runaway this year for the team title. University of California, University of Pittsburgh, with a well balanced squad, which placed second a year ago; and Penn State, with the heralded Barney Ewell and Nick Vukmanic, all are figured to be within two or three points of each other.

Three all time greats will perform in the Stadium, pits and on the Stadium cinders. Georgetown's gargantuan Al Blozis, a Sophomore, who is 6 feet 5 inches tall and who weighs 240 pounds, and has a well nigh perfect physique, may develop to be one of America's greatest weight men. He already holds the American record in the 160-pound shot put at 55 ft. 10 1/2 in., and he may break this record, the I.C.A.A.A.A. record, and perhaps Jack Torrance's World Record in the Stadium pit, which this week has been enlarged to accommodate Blozis. He has thrown the discus 161 ft. 2 in. in competition and over 180 feet in practice.

Barney Ewell

Barney Ewell, the Penn State Sophomore, and a Negro, is potentially one of the fastest dash men since the legendary Jesse Owens. The national 200-meter champion and holder of the World's Indoor Record for the 50-yard dash, Barney Ewell will be favored to win the 100 and 220-yard dashes and the broad jump next weekend. The lithe Negro already has run 9.6 for the 100, 20.8 for the 220-yard dash, and has broad jumped over 24 feet. With fast fields against him in both dashes, he may go as low as 9.5 in the 100 and 20.6 in the 220.

A second dazzling Negro star is Boston's own Ed Dugger of Tufts College. An amazingly versatile athlete, the Jumbo flash will probably limit himself to both hurdles in the intercollegiates. He is thought to be capable of a 14 second 120-yard high hurdles race and 22.6 low hurdles race on the same afternoon. Against as fine a field of Eastern hurdlers as ever has been collected, Dugger will have to go all out to win both hurdle races. If Bill Atkinson, intercollegiate two mile champion, was able to run, little Tufts College from Medford might bowl over the giants of the track and field world.