IC4A Track Meet Promises to Be Crammed With Close Races

Captain Jim Lightbody Will Meet With Plenty of Opposition in Half-Mile Run; Donahue to Run in High and Low Hurdles; Madey and MacIsaac Entered in Pole Vault

A recapitulation of the fields in this weekend's IC4A meet indicates a close race in every event. Barney Ewell will have Brown's brilliant Ken Clapp, Pitt's Harold Stickell, Penn's Palmer Hughes, and Yale's Bob Owen in the 100. In the 220, Clapp is the defending champion. Pitt's Frank Ohl and Colgate's Al Diebolt, another sensational Sophomore, will challenge the Penn State speedster.

The 440-yard field is evenly matched with Jim Herbert, the New York University Negro, facing such tried and true performers as California's Clarence Barnes, Fordham's Wesley Wallace, and Princeton's Paul Douglas. The winner certainly will have to break 48 seconds. Ed Burrowes of Princeton, Dick Belyea of Penn, Lynn Radcliffe of Syracuse, and Max Peters of Penn State are among a powerful group who will challenge Harvard's Captain Lightbody in the 880-yard run.

Close Mile Race

With Roy Fehr, the Michigan State captain, having run a 4:14.8 mile in winning the Michigan State championship last week, the mile race promises to be one of the most closely contested in recent years. Les MacMitchell, the heralded New York University Sophomore, who ran 4:14.3 for the mile last year, has yet to go all out this year. Don Smith of Maine ran 4:16.8 in taking third place a year ago.

California's Ted Vollmer, who has run a 9:18 two mile on the coast, should win this event on form. Al Boulanger of Pitt, who won this event in 9:23 last year, Andy Neidnig of Manhattan, Bill Smith of Penn State, and Ed Mills or Bill Mansfield of Michigan State, will try to stave off the Pacific Coast threat.

It looks as if the East will dominate in the hurdles for the first time in many years. Dugger and Hall of Tufts must contend with Frank Fuller of Virginia, the Ivy League trio of Captain Jay Shields and Ted Day of Yale and Don Donahue of Harvard, George Gilson of Holy Cross, and Jim Smith of Temple in a splendid high hurdles field. The Tufts' ace will have Captain Walter Zittel of Cornell, Don Donahue, Harold Stickel of Pitt, and Warren Wittens of Pennsylvania for strong opposition in the low hurdles.

Ewell will have a difficult time winning the broad jump championship for Princeton's Anson Perina, Cornell's Lester Murdock, Pitt's Frank Ohl, and Michigan State's Walter Arrington all are capable of 24 feet or better.

High Jumpers

The high jumpers are fairly evenly matched. Manhattan's Arthur Byrnes is a consistent 6 foot 4 inch jumper. Pitted against him will be Guinn Smith of California, Walter Arrington of Michigan State, and Les Murdock of Cornell.

California's Guinn Smith, who twice has cleared 14 feet 2 inches in Coast meets, should dominate the pole vault field. Yale's Tom Lussen and Pitt's Doyle Rhodes should divide second and third places, and Steve Madey and Marshall MacIsaac of Harvard, Ken Perkins of Rhode Island State, and Ed Macomber of Yale will battle for the other points.

With Al Blozis, the Georgetown giant, the favorite in the discus throw, second place may well go to Al Morro, B. C. Sophomore. California's Barney Wolf and Penn's Ed Beetem are the other standouts in this field.

Hammer Throw

Another blue ribbon New England product is Bob Bennett of Maine, defending title holder in the hammer throw who should break the meet record. Bennett will be prodded to a record smashing effort by such proven athletes as John McLaughry, son of the Brown football coach, Stan Johnson of Maine, Niles Perkins of Bowdoin, and Bill Shallow of Harvard.