PRIZE AWARDS GO TO SIX STUDENTS

Scowcroft, McNair, Shapero, Hoyt, Kaplansky, Dyer-Bennett Get Prizes

Prize awards in American literature, English composition, pulpit delivery, music, and mathematics were announced by Harvard University today.

Robert S. Hoyt '40, of Columbus, Ohio, was awarded the Helen Choate Bell prize of $400, for the best essay submitted by a student in the University on a subject in American literature.

Richard P. Scowcroft 1G, of Salt Lake City, Utah, was awarded the Harvard Monthly prize of $45, given annually to that student in the most advanced course in English composition who shows greatest literary promise.

McNair Gets Billings Prize

Robert M. McNair 2Dv., of Latta, S. C., was awarded the Billings prize of $150, for the student in the Divinity School showing the greatest improvement in pulpit delivery.

Harold S. Shapero '42, of Newton, Mass., has been awarded the George Arthur Knight prize of $125, for the best composition in instrumental music submitted by any student in the University.

Irving Kaplansky 1G, of Toronto, Ont., Canada, has been awarded the Robert Fletcher Rogers first prize of $35, for the best paper presented before the Mathematical Club during the academic year. The second prize of $15 was awarded to John Dyer-Bennet 2G, of Berkeley, Calif.