MEN WITHOUT A COURSE

Two weeks ago the H.S.U. Yard Questions Committee got out its spade and dug up an ugly little paradox. Blinking its eyes in the unaccustomed light was the fact that next year over two hundred bio-chemistry concentrators will be unable to take a single course in their field of concentration. Evidently the light had a stimulating effect. Headed by Dr. A. C. Redfield, a departmental committee has been formed to seek a remedy. So far, so good. But if history can teach a lesson, any loud cheering is still premature. The committee is riding down a rocky road strewn with the wreckage of similar ventures in the past.

The grievance attacked by the committee is an old one and has toughened with time. Eight years ago, a full laboratory course in bio-chemistry was optimistically listed in the course announcement as Biology 4. Like prosperity, Biology 4 remained just around the corner for three long years of tantalizing billing; then retired with a unique record of never having held a class, Meanwhile, sole entry in the bio-chemistry maw has been a half-hearted, half-course stop-gap called Chemistry 15. Next year, even it is to join the ghosts of limbo, and an absolutely bare cupboard faces the hungry bio-chem. concentrator seeking a dish to correlate his unbalanced diet of biology and chemistry.

Instructors and students alike are unanimous in their desire for prompt action. The only satisfactory solution is a full course with laboratory work to orient bio-chemistry students and bridge the gap between their biology and chemistry courses. Upon the new committee's shoulders rests the responsibility of reversing a story of futility and making Fair Harvard a little more fair to a large group of her undergraduates.