BIG RED LEADS BALL LEAGUE NOW; YALE IN SECOND PLACE

Cornell Takes Over Columbia And Harvard in Past Week; Tigers Win Season's First

More solidly entrenened in first place than ever, Cornell today is the only undefeated team in the Eastern Intercollegiate Baseball League tournament. While its closest competitor, Yale, was meeting its first setback at Columbia, the Big Red last week again gave strong evidence that it will be a tough team to overhaul by walloping first Columbia and then Harvard, thus making its record five up and seven to go. Last Saturday's game with Dartmouth, scheduled for Hanover, was postponed by wet grounds and no date has been set for a replay.

Yale, after getting off to a fine start by scoring victories over Pennsylvania and Dartmouth behind its sensational Sophomore left hander, Ted Harrison, fell into error Saturday against the Lions and bowed, 4 to 1, although Joe Wood, Jr. held the victors to six hits while his mates were pounding out nine, including a homer. That victory was the fourth in six games for Columbia, giving it a tie for second with the Elis. In the week's other game, Princeton achieved its first victory of the season, beating Pennsylvania, 8 to 5.

Young Harrison, as well as pitching his team to two victories, made a remarkable showing at bat. Playing the outfield when he wasn't on the mound, Harrison hit safely seven times in twelve tries for an average of 583 and the load in the race for the Charles H. Biair But. He hit six of those blows in a row. Tied for most number of hits are Cornell's twin bombers, George Polzer and Ronnie Stillman, each with ten safeties. Walter Scholl, of Cornell, and Bill Koepsell, of Pennsylvania, are tied in the Princeton A. A. Cup competition for individual base-stealing, each with six.