Merriam of Chicago Chosen as Visiting Godkin Lecturer

Authority on Municipal Government Will Speak Six Times

Professor Charles E. Merriam, Chairman of the Department of Political Science at the University of Chicago, has been appointed Godkin Lecturer here for the coming year, the University announced today.

A noted authority on municipal government and American politics, Professor Merriam will deliver five or six public lectures here next winter. He will be a Visiting Lecturer on Government at the University for the second half of the academic year.

The Godkin Lecture Foundation was established in 1903 in memory of Edwin L. Godkin, editor of the New York Evening Post and the Nation. Under the terms of the foundation the lectures deal with "the essentials of free government and the duties of the citizen, or upon some part of that subject."

Professor Merriam has taught political science at the University of Chicago since 1900. He has been an alderman in Chicago for six years, has been president of the American Political Science Association, and president of the Social Science Research Council, and has been a member of the National Resources Board. He