Aging Claverly Janitor Sculls Daily on Charles

James O'Brien Clinched New England Boxing and Rowing Championships

Once every afternoon a small elderly man pushes off from the float of the Riverside Boat Club and heads his narrow single up past the Weld and Newell boathouses to Browne and Nichols.

The man is James O'Brien, janitor of Claverly Hall and ex-amateur boxing and rowing champion, who daily sculls four miles in his specially constructed shell only seven inches wide, and every now and then paces a passing eight for a short distance.

New England Boxing Champ

After winning the New England amateur boxing crown in the 105 pound class in 1981 and 1892. O'Brien started in earnest on his aquatic career. Already a member of the Riverside Boat Club, he made full use of the shells available and in a few years became the champion oarsman on the river.

In the single summer of 1901 he won the Junior Amateur seulls trophy in a Fourth of July regatta, and on Labor day carried the corresponding trophy in the Intermediate class. Yet his activities have not always been confined to singles, for cups and medals from past races show his prowess in fours and eights.

Reminiscing on the days of yore O'Brien longed for the colorful regattas on the Charles when every boat club turned out with its crews of working men to defend their honor.