RED CROSS DRIVE PRESSED FURTHER

More Money From Houses Asked as $700 Subscription Is Made Public

About $700 was collected in the first week of the student drive for the Red Cross war relief fund, chairman John F. Kennedy '40, announced yesterday. Most of this was in large donations, he added, stating that the response from the student body would have to be much greater if the Harvard quota of $1,200 was to be reached.

The drive will be continued this week, with special emphasis placed on collections from the Houses and in the Freshman Union. The response from the Freshman class has been disappointing, the committee said.

"Twelve hundred dollars means less than 50 cents from each student in the College," the student Red Cross Committee stated. "The Red Cross has an unbroken record as an impartial agent for the relief of human misery. There need be no fear that contributing to the Harvard Red Cross fund approaches even psychological involvement in the European war. That this money will be used to aid the suffering civilians of the invaded Allied countries is simply because they are providing the battleground this time. We wish to help their innocent civilians."

Eliot House is leading the other Houses in the amount of money raised totals will be announced later in the week.