Prof. Andre Morize Describes Paris Bombing in Broadcast From French Capital Last Monday

Description of Nazi Air Raids; Plea for Aid From America

Professor Andre Morize spoke again by short wave from Paris last Monday night. The following is the talk he gave to his listeners in America.

You have heard the news. Paris has been bombed. It was no surprise to Paris, whose heart and spirit are equal to anything. Except on the very spots destroyed, life goes on as usual. The day was hot and beautiful. We first head the sirens and the anti-aircraft guns, then the noise of German bombers in the sky. There were heavy crashes, and the sound of the fire-engines. To many of us this was no new experience, but a reminder of twenty-five years ago. In June 1916, when I was in Dankerque, we had six or seven alarms every night. But I have never experienced the bombing of Paris. There is incongrnity in those words: as if a beautiful woman had been slapped in the face by a drunkard.

After the bombing we went back to work. News began to come in. More than a thousand bombs were dropped, a score if houses destroyed, two hundred civilian victims counted. None of the important monuments of Paris were hit. Do not worry for Notre Dame; she is intact still. Paris has been bombed, but her spirit and courage are still intact to face what is in store for her in the next few days.

At present there is an ominous lull, heavy with mystery and threats. No doubt Hitler is preparing now blows. The gigantic offensive launched on May 10th was intended to be the final victory which it was not. It was a severe blow. France does not deny it. It was also a severe blow to them. You can read between the lines of their communiques. The German radio must explain to the people the necessity for further sacrifices. Their losses have been tremendous, German women are forbidden to wear mourning; it would be bad for the morale.

New Blows Expected

France is gathering all her energies to withstand the new blows. When are they coming? How? Where? A short time will tell you. Once more we may be stabbed in the back by another man who has refused to listen to all voices from afar, who has refused all generous offers. He is ready to plunge his own people into disaster. He may deliberately increase the world's burden of horrors. But he fails to understand the moral temperature of France and England. During the last three weeks they have bent, but are not broken. To be sure of this, re-read Weygand's historic communique of last evening, with its citation on the armies in Flanders. This has been an example of heroic tonacity which will dictate our conduct in the days to come.

France has reasons for confidence. Voices are coming from far away. They are like words from a friend when you are deadly tired, which give you courage to brace up and to on . . . or like a drink of fresh water when you are thirsty. I have no right to say anything more. The voices must come from the other side, from those who clearly see that this is a critical and dramatic hour, from those who realize that the victory of Hitler's Reich would mean the loss of the essential things in their lives. I have heard a now phrase--the defending of something by aid to the Allies. Paris listens with grave emotion.

If it is true, then let it be soon. Every day means the loss of mere precious blood. It is too late already for the women killed in the air raid today. Too late, for the children killed on their way to school, too late for the workmen killed today at their benches. For Paris was bombed.

Au revoir, a bientot, amis d'Ameriquo, until Wednesday evening, (June 5), at ten o'clock (Eastern Daylight Time)