Crimson Poloists Face Army in First Round of Intercollegiate Outdoor Polo Championships

Eli Malletmen Rate Favorites in matches to be Held at Westwood

Captain Gay Dillingham's Varsity polo team meets the Army malletmen in the first round of the National Intercollegiate Outdoor Polo Championship tomorrow afternoon. The Crimson, playing in the Westwood field recently given to the College by W. Cameron Forbes, is rated a slight favorite over the Cadets.

Also listed to play on Saturday are Princeton and the University of Arizona. The winners of these two matches will meet each other on Wednesday, and on Thursday Yale will meet Pennsylvania Military College, the final match to be played on Saturday, June 15.

First Time in New England

Sponsored by the Undergraduate Polo Association, whose president is Dillingham, the Championships are being held in New England for the first time. The Westwood playing field, scene of the contest, is generally considered one of the most beautiful in the world and ranks second in this country only to Long Island's International Field.

Since 1923 the Crimson has won the National Championships six times and has reached the finals in all but three matches during that period. Yale, defending champion, is favored to repeat last year's victory, but the Crimson malletmen will be out to gain a third and final leg in the Gerry Cup.

Weather Hinders

Major Sargent's men have been handicapped this year by the inclement weather, but lately has shown enough improvement to guarantee a good exhibition.

Besides Captain Dillingham, who will ride number two, the Crimson team will be composed of John Lewis, one; Tom Bigginson, three; and Windsor white, four.

Thomas Brady, head referee of the United States Polo Association, will referee all matches, and the National Polo Pony Society will award a medal for the best pony in each match and for the best pony in the tournament.