Sons of Many Noted Americans Are Included Among Yardlings Who Registered Yesterday

Undset, Swing, Bingham, Hitchcock And Putnam Enroll With '44

Joining the ranks of the class of '44 as its first famous names were the sons of several distinguished authors, newspaper men and society leaders giving the class its first claim to a personality. Picked from widely diversified walks of life the group is indicative of the variety which typifies every Harvard class.

From Norway comes Hans Undset, son of the Pulitzer Prize novelist, Sigrid Undset. Educated in Europe young Undset has only just arrived to take his place beside a Lowell and a Cabot.

Raymon Gram Swing's Son Here

Peter Gram Swing of Westport also claims a European preparation although he has spent the last three years in this country while his father covers the war for NBC.

Representing the sporting world are Tommy Hitchcock's son and William Bingham Jr. Both intend to compete in their father's sports and have shown signs of proficiency. Hitchcock polos in Westbury Long Island and should bolster the malletmen in their attempt to equal the Forbes field, while Bingham competed in track at Choate. He runs dashes and the half mile.

Roger Lowell Putnam, son of the Mayor of Springfield, represents Massachusetts political life while Thomas D. Cabot comes from Beacon Street.

Many Refugees

As in last year's class the refugee proportion was fairly high although this year it was much harder to spot as most of the refugees had established residence. Several were forced to withdraw at the last moment as a result of difficulty in transportation. Nonetheless residences in the class stretched from Iceland to Shanghai and included the sons of two ambassadors.

But despite these few standout names '44 appeared as it struggled through the throes of screaming hawkers and the handcramps of a thousand signatures like every other class that has entered Harvard with ten people from a high school on Main Street to match every celebrity.