Squad Loses John Page For Season's Duration

Sophomore Center Receives Back Injury; Ayres Again at Pivot Post

Harvard's gridiron hopes for the coming season sunk a bit lower when it was announced yesterday afternoon that John Page, Sophomore center, had a fracture of the tranverse processes of three vertebrae and would be unable to play any more this year.

Before the injury, received in Monday's scrimmage, Page was in the thick of the fight for the starting center assignment. The loss of Page forced Coach Harlow to return letterman Burgy Ayres back to the pivot post and meet the challenge of "Lono Star" Dietz. Dietz and Page had been handling the center job so capably that Dick Harlow had decided to give Ayres a thorough tryout at the difficult right tackle hole.

No Scrimmage

There was no contact work yesterday as the "A" and "B" teams were sent through a 40 minute dummy scrimmage in an effort to get more speed, precision, and timing into the running attack. They also spent 30 minutes on forward passing.

Tackle still remains a thorny problem for Dick Harlow and his aides, with only Vern Miller, Pete Elser, Tom Gardiner, and Don Lowry rating red jerseys. Tom O'Loughlin is the newest hopeful, and he will be given every opportunity to prove his worth as soon as possible.