SCHOLARSHIPS GO TO 219 FRESHMEN

Thirty High School Graduates Hold Coveted National Awards--$1000 Top

More than one fifth of the Class of 1944 will receive scholarships from the College this year, according to the latest figures released from University Hall. This total of 219 scholarships already awarded may be increased before registration.

All of the scholarships awarded to Freshmen by the College are divided into six major classifications. These divisions are: the Harvard National Scholarships, the National Runner up Scholarships, the Associated Harvard Club Scholarships, the New England Private School Prize Scholarships, the Buckley Scholarships, and the Freshman Scholarships.

Thirty high school seniors have been chosen from 490 candidates in the Middle West, South, and Far West for Harvard National Scholarships, highest awards given to entering Freshmen. These scholarships carry maximum stipends of $1,000 the first year and $1,200 each year thereafter.

The National Scholarship winners are: Philip W. Anderson, Urbana, Illinois; Burton P. Block, Fountain City, Tennessee; William J. Bouwsma, Lincoln, Nebraska; John B. Bowman, Alliance, Ohio; Gordon M. Browne Jr., St. Louis, Missouri; George M. Burditt, Jr., LaGrange, Illinois; John J. Butler, Highwood, Illinois; John E. Corrigan, Jr., Chicago, Illinois; Joseph D. Grandine, Crandon, Wisconsin; Jackson E. Hardy, Santa

Because it believes that the present emergency can be successfully met by nothing less than the united and organized efforts of all the people, the group will endeavor to obtain a classified registration of faculty members and to recruit support for various defense agencies.

One of the high lights of the Harvard summer was the two-week conference of diplomats, religious leaders, businessmen, and educators on "Religious Principles and Contemporary and National Issues." The conference which dealt with the Church's part in world peace and democracy was conducted for two-day periods by five leaders belonging to the Catholic, Protestant and Jewish faiths.

Mordacal Johnson, president of Howard University and a famous negro leader, electrified the conference with his view that danger of totalitarianism will come from the suppressed Southern states. He claimed that "one third of the nation, living in the South, has a one party dictatorship, inflamed race hatred, and a tribal religion."

Ways to improve tomorrow's children concerned the other major conference of the summer. The conference brought together leaders, teachers, and research workers in many fields for an exchange of views as to ways and means of improving both the heredity and environmental endowments of tomorrow's children.

Conference leaders faced with the fact that America's birth rate is on the decline agreed that the decline must be stopped if America wishes to keep her position as an imperialistic power. Exports were at odds as to the best method of increasing America's birthrate. Earnest A. Hooton, Professor of Anthropology, foresees the decline of civilization through fostering propagation of the lower classes, while Thomas V. Moore of Catholic University asserted that moronity has a biological trend to climinate itself. The rest of the summer was, like the weather, alternately hot and cold.

Feminine enrollment in Summer School continued to show a steady increase with almost 900 of the fair sex; requirements for M.A. in Teaching were slackened; over 400 gallons of afternoon tea were consumed; Samuel Eliot Morison. Professor of History, caught up with Columbus