Bruin Coach Earl Brown Replaces Fesler as Basketball Mentor Here

Stahley May Go to Brown to Succeed Tuss McLaughry

Official confirmation of the appointment of Earl M. Brown as head basketball coach and end coach of football came yesterday from William J. Bingham '16, Director of Athletics. Brown, the present end coach of football and Freshman basketball mentor at Brown University, succeeds Wesley E. Fesler, who resigned to accept the head grid post at Wesleyan.

That rounds out the Harvard coaching staff for the present, but very soon there may be another vacacy to fill. Skip Stahley, Dick Harlow's backfield tutor, has the inside track on the Brown coaching job vacated by Tuss McLaughry earlier this week. Stahley has been waiting for a suitable head coaching offer for a year. If he leaves this winter, the announcement will be made soon because Harvard authorities will need time to shop around for a new backfield coach.

Brown, a former Notre Dame football and basketball star, is 25 years old. He gained All-America honors with the Fighting Irish in 1938 and played at end in the 1939 All-Star Professional game in Chicago. He was a three-year letterman in both basketball and football, captaining the cage squad in 1939.

He was appointed to his present position at Brown almost immediately after graduation. He has developed fine ends there and has had a good record in basketball. In addition, he supervised both the Varsity and Freshman tennis teams.