Dr. George W. Holmes Retires in September

Professor of Roentgenology Has Served at Medical School Since 1916

Dr. George W. Holmes, clinical professed of Roentgenology at the Medical School, and Chief Roentgenologist at Massachusetts General Hospital, will become Professor Emeritus next September 1, the University announced yesterday.

Dr. Holmes, one of the country's leading roentgenologists, has been a member of the staff of the Medical School since 1916, as instructor in Roentgenology, 1916-23, assistant professor of Roentgenology, 1923-31, and clinical professor of Roentgenology since 1931.

He received his M.D. Rom Tufts in 1906. He has been on the staff of Massachusetts General Hospital since 1911, and Chief Roentgenologist since 1917.

In 1925 Dr. Holmes was president of the Roentgen Ray Society, and he has been a director of the Society for the Control of Cancer since 1936, and a member of the National Research Council since 1927. He is consulting Roentgenologist for the Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary.

His chief studies have been on benign giant-cell tumors; radiographic findings in pericarditis with effusion; endothelial mycolma; congenital idiopathic enlargement of the heart; primary tumors and massive collapse of the lung; and carcinoma of the breast.