MASTERS PERMIT H.S.U. TO DISTRIBUTE PAMPHLET IN HOUSES WHEN LEGALIZED

Harvard Connection of Folder Must Be Apparent: Changes Made in Rules

Four Housemasters, meeting in their regular session yesterday afternoon, settled the question of the distribution of the disputed Student Union pamphlet, allowing the Union 40 pass out its literature in the houses if it will fulfill the technicalities of the newly-revised College Rule on Distribution of Literature.

The pamphlet had been issued under the aegis of the American Student Union and was signed by that organization. The Housemasters decided that the only bar to its distribution was its total lack of connection with any Harvard organization.

Must Countersign

If, however, the Harvard branch of the Student Union will countersign the leaflet, the letter of the law will be satisfied and there will be no opposition from any quarter.

The complexities of the new rules have never been publicized since they were revised this winter by the Dean's Office in accordance with three suggestions made by the Student Council last November.

At that time the case was referred to the council by Dean Chase because the law as it was formulated was indefinite in several respects.

Under the old rule the authors of any pamphlet had either to sign their articles or else to register their names in the Dean's Office. The Council deemed it advisable to change this rule to include as legal for distribution any literature which was registered by three students in the Dean's Office.

Anonymity Possible

The significance of this change, according to Langdon P. Marvin, Jr. '41, president of the Council. Is that the authors of a given track may remain anonymous if they so desire as long as three students are willing to guarantee the validity of the article and assume responsibility for it before the Deans.

In the second place the Council requested that it be consulted before the Dean's office refused permission to any piece of literature because of its subject matter. In the final form in which this suggestion was included in the rule, the officers of the Council were declared to be an alternate for the entire body if it was impossible to obtain a quorum.