HEMISPHERE UNITY FOR FUTURE SEEN

Ex-president of Panama Describes Pan-American Defense Solidarity

A united Western Hemisphere to defend "all those principles and ideals which have always been the basis of political and intellectual life in America, namely,--independence, peace, equality, and democracy" is what Dr. Ricardo Alfaro, former President of Panama, sees for the future of the Amicas.

Speaking before the "Pan American Forum" at Brattle Hall last night, Alfaro carefully avoided repudiating the totalitarian countries but praised the Good Neighbor Policy of the Roosevelt administration and the five multi-lateral conferences held since 1933 among the Western nations.

Pan Americanism Strong Now

"Pan Americanism," Alfaro stated, "has never been so strong as it is now. Two factors have contributed to this improvement: The Policy of the Good Neighbor and totalitarian aggressions in Europe and Asia."

"A real Commonwealth of Nations, united by effective political ties" will be the outcome of this envigorated Pan-Americanism in Alfaro's opinion.

Last night's program was the first in a series of four Wednesday evening schedules. The second lecturer on January 29 will be by John McLean Clark, former Nieman Fellow, who will discuss "South America: The Good Neighbor Dilemma". On February 19, Frank R. Scott, professor of law at McGill University, will speak on Canada as an American nation; and on March 12, William K. Jackson, vice-president of the United Fruit Company, will expound the peoples and problems of the Caribbean.