HERKY LEADS SOCCER TEAM'S WIN OVER BRITISH MARINES

Unofficial 2 to 1 Victory Warms Varsity For Tufts

Following up his three goal splurge in the graduate game last Saturday, "Herky" Herskovitz yesterday led the Varsity soccer team to victory, this time against the British Royal Marines by scoring once himself and passing to center forward Buz Hawhill for the other Crimson tally.

The highly-touted Marine team proved inadequate to meet the vigorous onslaught of the younger, more practiced Harvards and dropped the contest 2 to 1. A gallery of about 30 marines and sailors from H.M.S. "Newcastle" watched the fray.

Captain Jack Penson allowed only one goal through the Crimson nets and that when his fullbacks had been pulled out to the middle of the field and he was forced to rush out of his goal to meet the charge of the British center forward, Fred Tero.

It was not until after the half that the Varsity was able to score. Earlier a goal had been cancelled by an offside coast, but soon after the rest period "Herky" dropped a perfect center before Sawhill, who slapped the ball past the opposing goalie.

Again in the third period, "Herky" dribbled the ball down his right wing position and from the touch line, approximately 40 feet from the goal, tossed it past the netman.

The Varsity pushed the play throughout the contest but during the early periods the clever individual skills of the veteran Britishers held them ineffective. As their opponents tired, however, the Crimson were able to forge ahead and take the game.

Of interest is the fact that the Marines' captain, Ted Webb dashed for England in the 1932 and 1936 Olympics. Webb played right fullback on the Marine aggregation.

This Saturday the Varsity plays host to Tufts in its first official game of the season, while the Freshmen travel to Governor Dummer Academy.