Sawhill Tallies Set-up As Soccerites Tie Springfield

'45 Booters Down Worcester, 2 to 0

Springfield's soccer team came back in the third period Saturday afternoon to cut down a one-goal Crimson lead and to tie the Harvard booters 1-1 in a nip and tuck battle.

The hard-fighting visitors scored luckily when the Harvard goalie and captain, Jack Penson, dove to block a threatening kick. The hall deflected harmlessly off the center-forward's foot only to be twisted into the goal by one of the supporting Springfield linesmen.

As the score indicated, the two aggregations were evenly matched with the Crimson having the edge in the early periods of the contest. After an indecisive first-quarter, the Crimson faced into the wind the second period.

Setup Play

Then with an amazing display of team-work and drive, the scoring play was set up. The score was not the result of a haphazard smash at the nets, but rather a skillfully executed coordinatio of the entire eleven.

Center half Mort Myerson obtained control of the ball in mid-field, and passed to right-inside Thayer Drake. Drake avoided an opposing back and sent the sphere to Herky Herskovitz, right wing, who was speeding up the side line in the Crimson's attacking "W" formation.

Prevented from centering the ball until he had almost reached the goal line, Herky finally shot the ball back to right half Wes Truscott, who immediately returned the ball to Herskovitz in an open position.

Sawhill Sinks Sphere

Herky then slammed the ball directly for the goal almost horizontal to the goal line. The Springfield goalie failed to hold on to the sphere and as it dropped from his arms center-forward Buz Sawhill slapped it between the uprights for the lone Harvard marker.

The team played a much smoother and skillful game than it had displayed in earlier contests and it was only the slacking after the tally had been made that prevented a better showing. Penson in the goal and Herskovitz on the offensive were unquestionably the spark-plugs of the squad.

Saturday afternoon also on the Business School Field, the Freshman booters chalked up their first victory of the season with a 2-0 decision over Worcester Academy.