Princeton Polled 49% On War by September

Majority Think Hitler Will Let Seniors Graduate

Forty-nine per cent of Princeton's undergraduate body thought before their summer vacations that the United States would be in war by the middle of last month. But by a similarly slim margin, 51% thought that A. Hitler would be nice enough to let this year's Tiger Seniors graduate in the accustomed manner.

These are the results published in the "Scientific Survey" of the Princeton magazine, the "Nassan Sovereign," in its latest issue.

43% Think Britain Will Win

On the minority side of the ledger 44% believed that the 1942 graduation would because of the war, be quite unlike any ever held before, and 47% did not think we would be engaged in active military hostilities by the middle of September.

Asking the question. "Who do you think will be the eventual winner of the present war?," the Sovereign found that 43% believe England will win, 15% the Axis, 36% a stalemate, 3% the United States, and 3% have no opinion. The editors added, "it is interesting to note that as the war races into its third year a substantial 36% of Princeton does not believe that either side-can achieve victory. This figure, of course, includes those who do not believe that anyone ever really wins a war."

In preparing its monthly survey, the Sovereign staff makes up a list of about 150 guinea pigs distributed strong the four classes, and chosen on the basis of four consideration whether they are working their way through college, what part of the country they come from, whether they are on Dean's list and whether they are from a private or public school.