Masses in South America Possess Democratic Spirit, Declares Haring

Fascist Doctrines Tend To Influence Conservatives

Clarence H. Haring, Robert Woods Bliss Professor of Latin-American History and Economics and Master of Dunster House, recently stated upon his return from South America that the mass of the people in South America and Central America are overwhelmingly pro-democratic, while the upper classes in some of the countries lean away from democratic sympathies.

Mexico Friendly

Mexico and the Caribbean nations are closely tied up with the democracies economically and naturally pursue a friendly policy. Since the accession of Avila Comacho, Mexico has bent every effort to cooperate with the anti-Nazi nations, he added.

Professor Haring said that in the event of a German victory in Europe, the Latin American countries south of the Carribbean area will most likely come to terms with the Nazis.

Not True Democracies

Although the South American nations have democratic constitutions, they are often not true democracies, as they are in fact oligarchics or dictatorships, the professor continued. The ruling classes feel their positions and security are threatened by the rumblings of democracy and socialism in the lower classes.

While these conservative groups do not necessarily believe in Hitler, they are not sure that a Nazi victory would not be as good for them as a democratic victory in the war. Fascists in the Latin American region are not generally pro- Hitler, but rather favor fascism as a form of government.