INCA LEGEND PROMPTS CLIMBERS TO SCALE MOUNTAIN IN PERU

Goal in Sight When Lack Of Time Compels Return

According to legend, a band of Incas fleeing through Peru in the sixteenth century captured a golden cross from the pursuing army of Pizarro, and to prevent its recapture planted it on the very topmost peak of a towering mountain whose steep ice-bound sides would be impassable to the Spaniards.

Somewhat sceptical of this tale, members of the Harvard Mountaineering Club last summer decided to be the first ever to scale the mountain of Huagoruncho, more to test their climbing skill than to discover the fabled cross.

Travelling by car as far as the road went, then by a rickety mountain railroad, and finally by mule, Robert H. Bishop '38, Andrew J. Kauffman '43, and William F. Jenks '32 in company with three other non-Harvard friends reached the base of Huangoruncho and began a laborious climb up the southeast ridge.

Although they suffered from not being acclimated to the rarefied air, the party toiled upward for several days over steep ice packs and snow banks until two huge cornices, or overhanging ledges of ice, and a dangerous avalanche tunnel barred all further progress.

Bill Jenks had reconnoitered the west ridge several years before and reported huge ice towers reaching 200 and 300 feet into the air, which they would either have to work their way around or dig tunnels through. However, they had all disappeared when played on Franklin Field.

The rest of the squad consists of Bull Barnes and Don Forte, ends; Russ Stannard and George Hibbard, tackles; Jim Aldrich, Jim Grunig, and Dick Row, guards; Burgy Ayres and Swede Anderson, centers; Dave Goldthwait and Ted Lyman, quarterbacks; Bill Wilson and Doug Pirnie, tailbacks; Greely Summers and Cleo O'Donnell, wingbacks; and Wayne Johnson, fullback.

The squad leaves tomorrow on the Midnight, and will spend Friday at the Manufacturers' Country Club in Orland, where they will work out. Besides Harlow and AI McCoy, the party will include Bill Bingham and Carroll Getchell of the H.A.A.; managers Bungy King and Dave Place; the team physician, Dr. Augustus Thorndike; trainer Jimmy Cox; Jimmy Farrell, who handles the equipment; two cheer leaders, and a photographer