SEVEN-YEAR LAW STUDENTS URGE FOUR YEAR EMERGENCY A.B.'S

Landis Takes First Step In Allowing For Draftees

Fortifying the seven-year law plan against a student protest movement threatening wholesale desertion, Dean Landis yesterday stated that the University will award AB degrees to all those drafted if they have completed their fourth year of study and decide after release from the Army that they cannot complete the entire course.

Men enrolled in the program would normally win their degrees along with their LLD at the end of the seventh year. Under the amended rule, drafted students will obtain them after three years in the undergraduate school and one year or more in the Law School.

Prior to Dean Landis' statement, many undergraduates, fearing that they stood little chance of completing their studies with the United States on the verge of a World War, had decided to strive for an AB degree even if it meant abandoning the law plan.

Still Have Complaints

Although the original demand that students be given a degree if drafted after four years' study has been granted, the would-be lawyers still have many a complaint to lodge against the authorities administering the plan, and last night formed a council headed by Richard L. Weinberg '43 to advance their protests and proposals.

The seven-year law students hope to win various concessions, such as that an undergraduate degree will be awarded not only to a drafted student but also to those who must give up the plan for financial reasons, prolonged sickness or accident, or merely disinetrest in law.

Information Scarce

One of the main causes of misunderstanding, according the numerous students at the protest meeting last night is the seeming lack of interest and the scarcity of advice and information from high quarters. Few men can be located who understand the plan and know its regulations.

When the Faculty committee in charge of the seven-year law plan meets a week from today, the council of students formed last night hopes to explain its grievances through an undergraduate representative.