SONG WRITERS GROUP BRINGS STREAM OF BUDDING TALENT

Instituted Last Spring as Network Program Feature

Sprung from the fertile brains of the officers of the CRIMSON Radio Network one evening last spring when they were hunting for all original new program, the Harvard Association of Song Writers has been responsible for a juicy flowering of lyrics and jazz scores among the undergraduates.

Harvard's Tin Pan Alley was born during the bitter A.S.C.A.P.B.M.I. tiff, with the impudent idea that its minstrels were going to give the two other organization plenty of competitions and make the quarrel a triangular affair.

As it worked out however, according to Program Director Robert S. Kieve '48, the H.A.S.W. which started as a joke was one of the best features of the network. Star nightingale for the weekly presentation was Margery Rice, Radcliffe '43, who sang four out of the five songs on each program. Plans for this year's singers call for a widened list of female entertainers, with an added dash of men, and feelers have been tentatively stretched in the direction of Wellesley.

The organization acts as a sort of clearing house for amateur composers in the College, since music writers at a loss for lyrics can always find a partner and vice versa.

Some Good Songs

Although members modestly refuse to comment as to whether there exists a Gershwin, Berlin, or Kern among them, several have written popular pieces which drew favorable remarks from professional musicians.

Arthur C. Hyman '42, composed a slightly erotic piece inspired by signs along the Merritt Parkway, entitled "Keep Right Except When Passing." Though now it has drifted into temporary oblivion, the most easily remembered verses go something like this: "Keep right except when passing, get control of your nerves, 'cause soft shoulders mean dangerous curves . . . . Keep right except when passing, both hands on the wheel, steer straight to love, baby, you know the way I feel?'

Another Hyman song rendered over the air last spring was called "You're What I've Been Missing" . . . What he missed, of course, was "that sweet kissing."