Lee Recovered From Injury in Navy Game

Stalwart Line, MacKinney's Punts Are Highlights of Scoreless Upset

By Dave Stearns

Navy's All - American "Bullet Bill" Busik turned out to be just another blank cartridge Saturday afternoon as Harvard's great line tightened, turned back the vaunted "two-occan" attack, and held on long enough to score a "glorious upset win" over the Middies, 0 to 0, before a Stadium crowd of 40,000.

Captain Franny Lee, who subbed for the injured Loren MacKinney as Harlow's kicking specialist, left the game in the second period with a body injury, but according to Herr Doktor Thorndike, the "Morph" is not seriously hurt and will be ready to work this afternoon if Coach Harlow needs him.

Last night's medical report brought along more good news in the wake of the sinking fleet from Annapolis. MacKinney has been removed from the casualty list and will be able to start scrimmaging today, as the team commences work for Princeton.

Besides putting a stop to the rampages of Busik, except for one 32-yard sweep around end which was terminated by Lee's pinwheel tackle, the stubborn Crimson eleven completely smothered 252 pounds of fighting Flathmann, Navy's big left tackle who was supposed to clear holes in the enemy line by little more than looking at it.

Navy Outrushes Crimson

Though stastics give the Blue and Gold a substantial margin over the Harlowmen, 12 to 5 on first downs and 194 to 87 on yards gained by rushing, Harvard was actually far from outplayed.

Four times the Crimson had the aspiring "cincuses" with their hind feet almost on their own goal line. Once Bill Wilson swept off end on third down to the second-last yard line only to have the rally die on the spot with a futile fourth-down plunge bead on into the whole fleet.

Later the Crimson threatened to score again when Don McNicol trotted down to the 11, only to lose the ball on a costly fumble.

Never did Navy come as close to payoff humus as did Harvard on these two thrusts. Every time the sailor backs got going, the holes in Harvard's line mysteriously closed and swallowed the ball carrier in a morass of Crimson jerseys. HARVARD-NAVY STATISTICS   H  N Points Scored  0  0 First Downs  5  12 Net Gain Rushing  71  164 Passes Attempted  11  9 Passes Completed  2  2 Gained by Passes  37  22 Passes Intercepted by  0  2 Gained by Interceptions  0  13 Number of Punts  13  12 Average Punts  37  38 Punt Runbacks  15  36 Number of Penalties  1  3 Yards Penalized  15  35

seys.

Very often it seemed as though Busik was about to break away when suddenly one of Harlow's two great guards would come through to break up the play on the line of scrimmage.

In the dressing room after the game, Navy's coach, Swede Larson, showed particular surprise at the tenacity of Harvard's seven slabs of concrete. "We thought Bill or Howie (Clark) would break away at any time. Invariably we had the alleys open for them and they were just about to shoot through them when Peabody or Pfister would come across and make the tackle."

"I thought our boys played a line game," he continued, "but we have to salute Dick and his team. Either we were over-rated or they were underrated, but they certainly pinned our ears down."

So much for Mr. Larson.

It's true he had a great team. At times, just at the end of the first quarter, for instance, when the Blue and Gold started to roll, they looked for all the world like the high powered machine the tub-thumpers had thumped them up to be.

Just as the starting Middle eleven got under way, however, Larson yanked them out, and in staggered a complete new unit-an eleven which succeeded in getting very little more in the way of yardage from the battling Crimson.

This change of staff at such a crucial point to all appearances was the only coaching blunder of the day-a day which evidenced genius on both benches. Harlow of Harvard can be commended in particular for his judicial use of Loren MacKinney, the great showing of the reserves he had spent most of the week on, and his timing of substitutions.

Among those who filled in for the regulars. Cleo O'Donnell, Dick Row, and Russ Stanford were outstanding. Nobody can be picked out of that starting lineup as any more brilliant than the rest. Starting with Bill Baracs, who filled in more than ably for Loren MacKinney at left end, and going right down the line through Vern Miller, Chub Peabody, Johnny Page, Dick Pfister, Tom Gardiner, and Don Forte, they were all "terrific."

Behind the seven slabs, George Holden and Don McNicol played the best games of their respective careers. Though Bill Wilson is still new to Varsity competition, his showing Saturday would never have shown it. And as for Captain Lee, to whom we own the upect--without his stone wall tackle of Busik, the "Bullet" would have gone on to score the winning touchdown for the expected Navy victory

seys.

So much for Mr. Larson.