PLAN E TALKS HELD TUESDAY

Teacher's Union Sponsors Meeting in Brooks House

In an endeavor to explain to Harvard students and to citizens of Cambridge the intricacies of Plan E, and, incidentally, to introduce some of the 11 candidates endorsed by the Plan E committee, the Teachers' Union is holding an open meeting tomorrow at 4 o'clock in Phillips Brooks House.

The Union is sponsoring the meeting, under the chairmanship of its president, Francis O. Matthiessen, assistant professor of History and Literature, because it believes that the plan is "an important movement for progressive government in Cambridge."

Union representatives add that "the new system of proportional representation and the enormous number of candidates make it necessary to hold some sort of meeting." The actual number of men and women who have filed intention to run for the city council is 89, but it is possible that before the voting on November 4 several may drop out.

Speakers Scheduled

Speakers at the meeting tomorrow include attorney James A. Farr; Frank Reel, of the advisory council of the Massachusetts A.F. of L.; A. John Serino, former chairman of the Cambridge Welfare Board; John H. Reynolds, legislative agent of the Massachusetts American Federation of Teachers; and Miss Pearl Wise, of the League of Women Voters. These speakers are all candidates for the council

The talks will concern specific abuses noticed in Cambridge administration, which can "be rectified by the proper people." According to Teachers' Union officials, there will be no electioneering, "since that is practically valueless with so many candidates"

The Union announced last night that since its vice-president, Associate Professor of Government Rupert Emerson, is now working in Washington, Kirtley F. Mather, professor of Geology, had been elected to take his place.