STUDENTS BEGIN 'WORK-END' CAMPS

Make Repairs in Colored Settlement House Saturday

Members of the executive committee of the New England Work Camp Association, along with representatives of the Student Christian movement, initiated the first of a series of week-end work camps last Saturday, as they spent the day in making improvements in a colored settlement house near Central Square, Cambridge.

Maurice S. Friedman '43, who organized the week-end camps at Harvard, was aided by Hugh S. Barbour '42, Norris L. Tibbetts '42, John C. Levenson '42, and Adam Yarmolinsky '43. Undergraduates from several other colleges, including Wellesley, Radcliffe, Wheaton, and the Smith Architectural College also participated.

Work done on Saturday, according to Friedman, consisted of building two closets in the basement, repairing and painting work benches in the hobby room, and such other jobs as hanging window curtains.

Discussion After Work

After 4:30 o'clock when the members stopped for "tea," a discussion was organized in which the basic philosophy of the work camp idea was analyzed. "Our motives were varied," said Friedman, "because so many different groups were represented. We are all working for the same reason, but the emphasis is different."

Rural projects are planned for later in the fall. Beside giving the group an opportunity for concrete service, the broad program also includes speakers and discussion. Non-college workers will be admitted as soon as things are more definitely organized, he declared.

All undergraduates interested in coming along next Friday and Saturday are welcome, members of the committee stated.