Annual Report Finds Harvard Kennedy School Faculty Remains Largely White, Male

Harvard Square Celebrates Oktoberfest

Harvard Corporation Members Donated Big to Democrats in 2020 Elections

City Council Candidates Propose Strategies for Supporting Low-Income Residents at Virtual Forum

FAS Dean Gay Hopes to Update Affiliates on Ethnic Studies Search by Semester’s End

University O.K.'s P.B.H. Placement Office

Plans Laid For College Agency

The Administration levelled a double-barrelled blast at the Placement Bureau problem yesterday with the announcement that a committee of alumni is investigating all aspects of the question and that in the mean while Phillips Brooks House will be allowed to fill the gap with a temporary placement office headed by John L. Steele.

Alumni Committee members will probably not be able to draw up their report soon enough for the University to take action this year. The chances are good, however, that a permanent office for helping Seniors to get jobs in all branches of civilian industry and with the government will be established in 1942-43.

Soon after the announcement of a drastic revision in the budget last spring, the Placement Bureau was eliminated entirely, with the provision that the employment problem would be investigated in the hopes of a better solution. Since then a Student Council Committee headed by James E. Meredith '42, and Phillips Brooks House have been active in encouraging steps toward another agency, if only a temporary one.

PBH Fills One-Year Vold

The stop-gap PBH office, which will help put the Class of '42 in contact with possible employers, will probably not be required for more than a year.

Law Professor James A. Casner's defense advisory office, which assists draftees, volunteers, and students who want information on opportunities in the defense industries, will not be affected by any developments in the placement bureau problem, since Professor Casner supplies only information and advice, not jobs.

The committee of alumni investigating the problems of a placement bureau will make an exhaustive study covering the employment agencies in the graduate schools, the difficulties of establishing business contacts, and the relation between undergraduate courses and employment.