The New Gen Ed Lottery System, Explained

Armed Individuals Sighted in Harvard Square Arraigned

Harvard Students Form Coalition Supporting Slave Photo Lawsuit's Demands

Police Apprehend Armed Man and Woman in Central Square

107 Faculty Called for Review of Tenure Procedures in Letter to Dean Gay

35 STUDENTS HELP CIO ORGANIZE MEN

Canvass Homes of Shipyard Workers in Quincy Plant

In an attempt to swing the coming NLRB election at the Fore River Bethlehem plant in favor of exclusive bargaining rights for the CIO, a group of Harvard, Radcliffe, Simmons, and M.I.T. students last night started on an ambitious program of door-to-door canvassing and persuasion.

Thirty-five undergraduates, under the leadership of Robert P. Nassau '42, are answering a call for help from the CIO marine union. There are 17,000 workers at the plant, which handles more defense contracts than any other in the country.

Every Employee Interviewed

According to the system worked out by the "organizers," couples consisting of a boy and a girl will interview every employee and his family in each of the six Quincy awards affected. The men will talk things over together, while the women will withdraw to another part of the room and do the same. Suggestions received from the CIO hint that it is often more advisable to convince the wife, since she can bring greater pressure to bear.

Hours for canvassing depend on the student's free time, but preferably between 4 and 8 o'clock.

"A CIO victory is practically assured," declared Robert H. Orcliard '42, one of the ward captains, "because Bethlehem has come out in favor of giving the CIO what they want." Since all the other Bethlehem plants on the eastern coast are already under the CIO, or will be soon, Orchard said the company would prefer to have all its units organize rather than being forced to figure a system of wages.