FOOTBALL--

wingback to tailback this year, and George Helden are the only men returning who saw heavy action for the Crimson in last year's tie game. Charley Spreyer, hard-running fullback, who had a great day last November against the Red and Blue, is now in the army, and Dick Harlow has been vainly combing the ranks of the Jayvees and new Sophomores trying to uncover another back who can possibly approach Spreyer's brilliance.

Coach George Manger of Penn, on the other hand, who also lost his greatest offensive threat of last year, Frank Reagan, has been able to mold together quite a formidable array of talent-drawing upon the reserves from last year's Centennial cloven and from last season's Freshman squad, reputed to be one of the best ever to wear the Red and Blue.

At blocking back on this first string backfield is Captain Gene Davis, a 195 pound Senior, who, besides clearing the way for the Penn offensive, kicks placements and illustrated on last year's field goal that he is effective on place kicks up to 20 yards. Reports from Philadelphia have had Davis benched with a "tender" shoulder for the past few days, but it is safe to say that he and not the Sophomore sub, Jack Nolan, will be in there when the starting whistle blows.

The chief offensive threat on the Manger squad this year promises to be Paxson Gifford, a Morcersburg product who broke up last year's Cornell game with a beautiful open-field run down to the Big Red 15-yard line. Faster even than Jack Welsh, who bothered the Harlowmen so much last year with his sudden bursts of steam, Gifford takes Frank.

Reagan's tailback spot. One of the best punters on the squad, he also plays safety on defense.

According to headlines in the Philadelphia papers, Jack Welsh will be definitely out of today's game due to a dislocated shoulder, but actually he probably would have played little of the game anyway. A Sophomore, wingback Joe Kane, has been coming go fast in the early season workouts that he probably would have held the starting berth even if Welsh was in perfect physical shape.

Kane, who holds the cup as Exeter's best all-around football player, is a sprint star, faster than Welsh, but he of course lack college game experience.

Outstanding in the Penn forward wall are the two flankmen, Bernie Kuezynski and Herb Nelson. The Pole is a fast and dangerous pass receiver and Nelson was a regular last year until he injured his shoulder in the Yale game.

At the tackles are John Cohen, one of those threatened by the draft, and Wait Moeling, a Senior who weighs in at 228 pounds. Al Brechkaand Mort Sheikman hold down the guard positions and Don Bitler, a fine line backer, is at center.

Coach Dick Harlow will field a starting lineup that will undoubtedly include last year's ironmen, Loren MacKinney, Chub Peabody, Dick Pfister, Tom Gardiner, George Helden, and Franny Lee.

At center, it is still dubious whether Burgy Ayres will start. Judging from last week's practice scrimmage showing, he is physically capable of going in and playing almost the full 60 minutes. However, Harlow may hold him out in favor of Johnny Page, until a more strategic moment later in the game.

Gordy Lyle and John Morgan, both Juniors, will be the only new faces in the lineup at the starting whistle unless possibly Sophomores Wayne Johnson or Bill Wilson should break into the back field at the tailback or fullback posts.