Sports of the Crimson

Pre-season Practice Games with B.U. or B.C. Not Too Remote A Possibility for Crimson

By David B. Stearns

Although Coach Jaakko Mikkola seems to have a strong, well-balanced Yardling track squad this season, which he calls better than last year's aggregation, he is still searching for high-jumpers, broad-jumpers, and, for the spring campaign, javelin throwers.

In commenting on the current team, Jaakko says that he is particularly hopeful for the outdoor season, for the whole squad is improving, and the weakness in the field events may well be taken care of by the time the grass on Soldiers Field is turning green, and the leaves are coming out around the Yard.

Right now, though, the field events are the weakest department, except for the shot-put, where big Pete Garland, a Noble and Greenough product, bids fair to top all records. Tossing the iron ball lightly behind him are Sandy Wheeler and Charlie Burns.

The broad-jump and high-jump situation is sad. Stu Grover, only experienced broad-jumper, is sick, and the rest of the men are green. There is a real need for entrants here, and Jaakko is urging that any Freshmen interested, experienced or not, should report soon. In the high-jump, however, there is a bright star on the horizon, for Dean Hennessy, now playing basketball, is planning to turn to track at the end of the hoopsters' season. But Pete Garland is at present the only man there, and he is not really a high-jumper. In the hammer throw, the Fisher brothers, Jack and Bill, and Carl Bolter have a monopoly.

Moving over into the running events, the dash men are strong and improving. Frank Coolidge seems to hold the edge here, but Fred Carr and Joe Moore are coming, and may press him later. In the hurdle events, Wes Flint, another Noble and Greenough graduate, has a strangle hold on the top position. He is very fast and has good form; Jaako calls him "very good." Following him over the timber are two beginners, Al Houghton and George Earley. Houghton is pretty fair, but Earley is stiff, and must loosen up. In the low hurdles, Ted Withingham, Exeter alumnus, who will run the low hurdles, is very good, but has lots to learn, and must lose his nervousness in competition.

In the 300, Withington leads the flock, which includes Coolidge and dick McCarthy. McCarthy, however, weighs 184, and so has some weight to lose. Wes Flint may appear in this event later. In the 600, Max Pincus is being pushed hard by Arby Brown and Wally Chubb. Brown, whose real name is Rowland, is especially promising according to Jaakko, and runs very loosely.

The 1,000 field, including the men who will be running the mile and two mile in the spring, is now being paced by Archie Lyon, who prepped at Andover and Browne and Nichols. He turned in a very spectacular time against Northeastern in the person of one of the Carroll twins Saturday, and has been improving steadily. Says Jaakko, "He has the stuff, and should be a wonder."