UNCLE SAM WANTS STUDENTS FOR AIRPLANE NAVIGATION

Ideal Army Job For Plane Lovers Without 20-20 Eyes

Behind a desk in University 20 sits Law Professor A. James Casner, the man whose job it is to advise and direct students into the kind of defense work they are suited to handle.

Typical of the kind of detailed and valuable information which Defense Advisory Committee's Casner gives out is the War Department's recent radiogram calling for three thousand aerial navigators during the months of October, November and December.

New Open to Civilians

Aerial Navigation is perfect for the man who loves airplanes but doen't have the necessary twenty-twenty eyesight, and up until last September the Army had restricted this kind of training largely to men "washed out" of pilot courses. Now, however, there is a greater demand for navigators, and the Army is recruiting heavily from civilian ranks.

Twenty to twenty-six years old; single; two years of college with work in algebra, plane geometry and plane trigonometry three are all required of the student who would take this navigation training course. But the physical standards are not as exacting as those required of either pilots or bombardiers you can get by if your eyes are twenty-forty without glasses and twenty-twenty with.

$75 A Month Pay

Once past the physical and mental hazards, the future Navigator officially becomes an Aviation Cadet for a training period of seven and one half months, with a salary of seventy-five per and an extra dollar a day for food. Medical care, hospitalization, uniform, clothing and equipment are all gratis, plus a $10,000 government life insurance policy with premiums taken care of while in training.

On graduation, the Cadet becomes a Second Lieutenant in the Air Corps Reserve, and is given one uniform allowance of $150, with a possible monthly pay of $245.00. From that day on he must be active for three years, "unless sooner relieved by competent authority."