TEAM A MAKES BAD SHOWING

Varsity Checked by Subs In Week's Last Scrimmage

In the last day of hard work before Saturday's Cornell tilt Dick Harlow pitted his Varsity on the offense against Team B, and the results of the 40-minute scrimmage were not at all pleasing to the Crimson's mentor.

The downfield blocking on which the coaching staff has been harping all week still left much to be desired, and in addition the second team line, sparked by Russ Stannard, managed to mess up the Varsity plays quite often before they got started. All in all, it was not a pleasant way in which to conclude the week's contact work.

Two Tackles Shifted

In an effort to bolster his end squad, which at the present time is weakened by the enforced inactivity of Bull Barnes, Loren MacKinney's understudy, and Johnny Farley, Harlow has shifted two of his tackles out to the flank position. Johnny Shattuck, a 200 pounder, and Bob Fisher both tried out at end yesterday instead of playing their usual tackle positions.

Possibly Harlow was influenced in his move by the showing of Nelson and Kucznski, Penn's huge ends, who kept the Crimson hemmed in all last Saturday. At any rate Shattuck and Fisher will probably stay on the flanks at least until Barnes and Farley are ready for action again.

Lyman Given Day Off

Another absentee yesterday was second string blocking back Ted Lyman, who was bumped on the leg in Tuesday's scrimmage. There is no statement forthcoming from the doctors as to how serious Lyman's injury is, but third string blocker Davy Goldthwait saw a good deal of action on the first team yesterday, which might indicate that Harlow was planning to use him considerably against the Ithacans.