Eight Men Eligible For '42 Grid Captain This Afternoon

Three Backs, Five Linemen On Slate

Eight Juniors who helped in Saturday's climactic 14 to 0 win over the Elis will be eligible for the captaincy of the 1942 football team in this afternoon's election at Dilion Field House.

The successor to Fran Lee will be one of three backs, Don McNicol, Gordy Lyle and Dave Goldthwait or one of five linesmen, Don Forte, Jack Morgan, Bull Barnes, Russ Stannard and Johnny Page.

The choice is narrowed somewhat by the fact that Goldthwait and Lyle are third stringers who played only a few minutes of Saturday's game.

On the strength of the Yale game showing McNicol and Forte seem to have the edge although nobody can be discounted. McNicol, who captained the Freshman eleven three years ago capped a stand-out season with a spectacular showing against the Elis Saturday averaging better than 10 yards per try try.

Forte, playing an inspired game despite the loss of two teeth, ended an outstanding season Saturday with another of his spectacular touchdown catches in the end zone.

If McNicol is chosen it will be the fourth year in a row that a backfield man has gotten the honor. Prior to Fran Lee, Joe Gardella and Torby Macdonald held the captaincy.

Two linemen, Russ Allen and Bobby Green, led the team in the years immediately previous to that.