MEM HALL CHOKED BY 35,7000 BALLOTS

PLAN E OPPOSED BY TWO FACTIONS

Starting today, Memorial Hall will be the counting house for the 35,700 vote polled yesterday by Cambridge citizens for the men they want to run their city. The total voting in East Cambridge was light, and since the anti-Plan E' machine is strongest in that district, this is an encouraging sign for Dean Landis and his committee.

There were, however, two factions trying to wreck the efforts for an effective city manager plan. First, there was the democratic ward under the chairmanship of a citizen of Somerville. This is an out-and-out opposition platform to Plan E, and its proponents tried to capture East Cambridge yesterday by handling out one dollar bills to promising voters.

Mickey the Dude Heads Group

The other anti-Plan E faction, headed by Mickey Sullivan, used a different angle. Instead of directly opposing the council plan, they pooled their forces to elect their own councilmen, in opposition to the eleven candidates which the Plan E committee had endorsed.

Members of the Harvard Liberal Union, and students from Radcliffe, and Wellesley spent all day at the polls handing out pamphlets, checking off voters to see that didn't vote twice, and generally plugging for the eleven candidates favored by Landis. Sullivan's drawing power is strongest in Ward Six, the area right around the University, and this was where the students concentrated their efforts.

No estimates can possibly be made as to the outcome of the election explained Landis last night. The votes will not be all counted up for another ten days at least. But one voter, outside of the Cambridge Fire Station poll yesterday, shouted. "Tell Jim Landis he can shove Plan E . . . I'm voting or Mickey Sullivan."