HARVARD TO HAVE AN EFFICIENT AIR RAID DEFENSE ORGANIZATION

Scott Committee Working On Centralizing Services

If the dim possibility of an enemy air attack on Harvard should ever become a reality, the University will not be caught napping on defense preparations. At least three Faculty committees are working on plans which will enable College authorities to take care of immediate damage and casualties before the city forces arrive on the scene.

Announced yesterday was the new non-credit course for air raid wardens, which will be given in conjunction first aid instruction from November 18 until the Christmas holidays. According to Donald Scott, director of the Peabody Museum and chairman of the Conant appointed Defense Committee, the University in trying to lie-in the maintenance force which operates in normal times, with an organization ready for bombings or mob action.

"We haven't enough fire-fighters or medical facilities for emergency use," he declared. At the meeting on November 12 the University will ask for a number of students who are willing to train as volunteer firemen with the Cambridge Fire Department.

Provision must also be made for a nucleus of men whose knowledge extends beyond first aid. All these service must be coordinated, and a Harvard "report" center must be established to communicate instantly with Cambridge warden headquarters.

College to Cope with Minor Damage

Thus in case incendiary bombs fell on Harvard Hall during a lecture trapping students under fallen being and plaster and starting from the warden's first job would be to inform the report center. If the damage were not sertena, the College would cope with it alone. If outside help were needed, the head Harvard warden would notify the city authorities.