Young Chinese Alumnus Sheds Light On American-Japanese Diplomatic Crisis

Influence Of Japan On World War Described

By Yongjeung Kim

This article was sent to the Crimson by a Chinese alumnus, Young Jeung Kin '28 ocC, who is now Chairman of Public Relations for the Korean National association of North America.

Although Japan learned modern military science from Germany and naval science from England, Japanese samuraism instigated Hitlerism. The present world chaos, the barbaric condition or the rule of brute force, was created by Japan through a period of time. Therefore, the democracies are not only fighting nazism but the spread of samuraism. A hit of history will prove the fact that samuraism fostered nazism.

The Japanese nation is composed of war-like tribes. From their primitive stage, men of god physique and intelligence were pressed into military service. Under the feudal system, samurai were the "knights" or professional soldiers. They became hereditary warriors who enjoyed special privileges and prestige over their dull and weaker brethren who tilled the soil and engaged in other sorts of civilian life. The samurai were as proud as if they were the guardians of their nation. They believed "might is right" and the sword is justice. So great was their influence that the country came under the domination of their martial spirit, and it became a land of samurai.

Toady there is no feudal system in Japan, but the ideals of samurai thrive and are deeply imbedded in the heart of every Japanese. Samuraism is the very core of their present national policy, and the Japanese believe that the prosperity and glory of their empire can only be derived from conquest this end they are ready to undergo privation and are ready to die. That is why there is no revolution in Japan and the people still cling together after four years of disastrous adventure in China.

Korean Independence

Korea maintained her independence for more than four thousand years. She was the one who fought off the Japanese invasions for centuries. thus, China was never menaced by samurai aggression until the latter part of the nineteenth century. In order to put an end to the chronic invasions of the hostile islanders, as early as 1591, Admiral Yi Soon-sin invented iron-clad warships. With them he annihilated the Japanese wooden fleet. From then on, Korea was at peace until the "90"s.

At about the first century A. D., Korea sent a cultural mission to Japan to civilize the naked people. Naturally the Chinese and Koreans looked upon them as "dwarf barbarians". Nevertheless, long before Hitler, the samurai got the contemptuous idea that they were a divine and superior race so that they must rule the universe.

If you will look at a map of Eastern Asia you can readily see the strategic position of the Korean peninsula, and you can also imagine why Japan fought China in 1894, and Russia in 1904. Your conclusion will be-control of Korea.

Korea s the nearest point of the mainland from Japan, and the samurai had no easy access to Manchuria, Siberia and China without first dominating Korea. So, the samurai were out to got Korea by chicanery. Since the signing of the first treaty in 1876, they wooed the Korean friendship. In declaring war on Russia the Japanese Emperor said, "Separate existence of Korea is essential to the safety of our realm." And Japan unduly influenced Korea to sign a treaty of defensive an defensive alliance against Russia on February 23, 1904. Article III of the treaty read: "The Imperial Government of Japan, definitely guarantees the independence and territorial integrity of the Korean Empire." Japan also solemnly pledged to evacuate her troops from Korea as soon as the war with Russia was over.

After the Russians were whipped. Japan seized Korea with her victorious army and told the world that Korea wished to become her protectorate. Korea was made a puppet like Manchukuo. Korea appealed to the powers who had treaty obligations with her to redress her grievances. Mute was their response. It was the beginning of tacitly appeasing the subtle aggressor. Finally, Japan again by force annexed Korea in 1910 and gracefully announced that the Emperor of Korea made complete and permanent cession to the Emperor of Japan of all rights of sovereignty over Korea and the Emperor of Japan consented to annex Korea.

Manchuria Next?

while the world was suffering from the effects of the Great War, the samurai, according to their plans for conquest, invaded Manchuria in 1931 and soon marched into China proper.

War on Grand Scale

The Nazis with their superior knowledge of science are waging the war on a grand scale under the daring leadership of dynamic Hitler. The main theater of the aggressive design set by the samurai became a side-show. While the Nazi technique is blitz, the samurai's is stealthy.

Hitler advocates a new order in Europe and the samurai have been enforcing a new order in Asia. Hitler claims to liberate Europe and samurai claim to liberate Asia. They are in perfect chorus.

Wants U. S. In War

Japan does not want American "friendship," but she has one desire. She wants the united States to enter the European holocaust just as much as Hitler wants Japan to fight the United States, and so whenever possible Japan likes to make America feel secure in the Pacific. For this end., if necessary, she will betray her beloved ally, Nazi Germany. As soon as America plunges into the battle of the Atlantic, and when it waxes so hot that she has double-crossed and re double-crossed her friends and enemies.

Whether the battles are fought in the West or in the East, they are all one war a class of philosophies, which was started by samurai Japan. Human liberty and rights cannot be secured and preserved without crushing samuraism together with Hitlerism