Gummere Reveals Change In Entrance Requirements

Plan B Modified to Permit Fewer Exams

In line with the College's long-term policy of liberalizing entrance requirements to meet the flexibility of secondary school curricula, Richard M. Gummere '07, chairman of the Committee on Admissions, announced yesterday a series of modifications to go into effect next year.

Under the new plan, a modification of Plan B, specially qualified students will be allowed to split their examinations between the last two years of school, and in some cases will be admitted with only three exams.

With the recommendation of his principal or headmaster, an honor man may apply in his Junior year for permission to divide his College Boards on a one-three, two-two, or three-one basis.

Advance Work Credited

Those who are taking advanced courses which are not examined by the College Board may in certain cases be admitted with only three tests. Such courses would have to be recognized by the College as being of high calibre and might be in such fields as Fine Arts, Music, Social Studies, or Mechanical Work. This will also apply to men taking two advanced courses such as fourth-year Latin and French.

In a statement Saturday to the New York Times, Gummere said, "The purpose of this move is to encourage the study, in the final year, of some one subject which has a special appeal.

Aim at Proficiency

The aim of the Harvard Committee on Admissions is to meet the changing demands of American education and at the same time edncourage proficiency in some line which especially appeals to the student, without softening the standards which a liberal arts and enginering college would demand.

"This explains why the old plan in rigid tests in all subjects over two or three years has sunk to 8% of the accepted students of the Class of 1945, and why modifications have taken place in the other methods of admission."