POL TALKS ON NEW GERMANY AT SYMPOSIUM

"Nazis Behind Nazis" Are Real Menace, Says Writer

Calling for the destruction of the "Nazis behind the Nazis," Heinz Pol last night told the Lowell House Symposium that only by the elimination of anti-liberal forces in Germany and a "re-education of the people" in democratic procedure, could any reconstruction plan be expected to work.

Pol spoke, together with George P. Welch '24, on the general political and economic reconstruction that will have to follow the war. Elliott Perkins '23, Master of Lowell House, read the speech that was to have been given by Sir Norman Angell, who was unable to be present.

Pan-Germans Behind Hitler

Discussing primarily the reconstruction of Germany, Pol started by stating that he would speak "less of reconstruction than of destruction." He went on to describe "the Nazis behind the Nazis," the Pan-German element that has been the deciding factor in German politics for over 50 years, continually exerting a reactionary and aggressive influence.

Made up of the military clique, Prussian Junkers, industrialists, and many men in the fields of education and justice, this same minority has been responsible for both World Wars, the sabotage of the post-war Republic, and the rise of Hitler, he explained. Their destruction, and the nationalization of Germany's essential industries, are prerequisites to any reconstruction, stated Pol, who has recently written a book on this subject.

Welch asked for an Anglo-American Federal Union to be set up immediately for the prosecution of the war. The United States, he said, "was invented as a war measure," and he proposed that the Union be continued after the war, with admission open to other "democratic" nations.