Annual Report Finds Harvard Kennedy School Faculty Remains Largely White, Male

Harvard Square Celebrates Oktoberfest

Harvard Corporation Members Donated Big to Democrats in 2020 Elections

City Council Candidates Propose Strategies for Supporting Low-Income Residents at Virtual Forum

FAS Dean Gay Hopes to Update Affiliates on Ethnic Studies Search by Semester’s End

TWO GROUPS OFFER STUDENTS PART - TIME DEFENSE SERVICE

Massachusetts State Guard Accepting Undergraduates

With facilities for military training within the college limited at present to a small minority, a number of undergraduates have been obtaining experience by joining local units of the Massachusetts State Guard, now being called out to protect vital points such as bridgeheads and defense factories.

The State Guard corresponds to the peace-time National Guard here and the Home Guard in Britain, drilling once a week and responding to emergency calls.

Unit at Cambridge Armory

The nearest unit is the Engineer battallon at the Cambridge Armory opposite M. I. T., and there is an elite motorized squadron at the Cadet Armory in Boston. There are also detachments in surrounding suburbs such as Medford and Somerville.

On'y 810 of the 3500 undergarduates are enrolled in the Army and Navy R.O.T.C. courses. Last year the Student Defense League investigated the possibility of forming a supplementary military training organization on the scale of the Darvard Regiment of 1916, but the specialized instruction demanded by modern warfare is not available here. However, it may now be possible to form student home guard units, as at Oxford and Cambridge.