Legal Aid Bureau Issues Summary of Driving Regulations in Massachusetts

Clarifies Problems of Out Of State Auto Operators

In a recent attempt to clarify the position of the out-of-state driver, the Harvard legal Aid Bureau has issued a memorandum containing a summary of Massachusetts rulings pertaining to the non-resident student.

Although this state does not restrict the operation of "foreign" motor vehicles, it does place a limit on the number of days for which men from some states may drive an out of state automobile without having to register it in Massachusetts. There is no uniformity in this law, as some states have unlimited time, and the others very greatly.

State Law Differ

Students coming from certain states, such as California, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, New York, and some two dozen others are fortunate in that the may operate any motor vehicle licensed in any state, while men not from these states must hold either a Massachusetts license, or one from the state in which the car is registered.

Also important is the matter f insurance, for according to the Legal Ai Bureau, Massachusetts requires at least $5000 worth of personal injury coverage. Fines up to $500 may be imposed on the driver who fails to comply with the insurance law.


No Rights Without Insurance

The Legal Aid Bureau also points out that a person driving without insurance, or in an unregistered car, has practically no rights at all in case of an accident. Because insurance premium are high in Massachusetts, the Bureau suggests that out-of-state students take out their policies at home.

Although the law states that all motor vehicles operated in Massachusetts must have liability insurance, non-residents are permitted to drive their cars here for a total of 30 days per year without it, once a permanent place of abode (as a student) is established.

Coptes of the Legal Aid Bureau's survey may be obtained the delivery desk at Langdell Library.