THE MAIL

To the Editor of the Crimson:

In yesterday's declaration of war against Germany and Italy the united States actively recognized the unity and totality of the Axis war on freedom-loving nations. The Harvard Liberal Union has, since its founding over a year ago, advocated firmest resistance to the enemies of democracy abroad as at home. The Liberal union has faith in democracy and welcomes the ultimate test of war.

A routine announcement of policy would require no further comment. But the casual reader of the Crimson will dismiss this as the pat communique of "another political organization"--and of this failure to reach the mind of the undergraduate for whom it seeks to speak the Liberal Union is acutely aware. The Liberal union takes this opportunity publicly to thrash out the causes of an apathy which negates the basis of political organization:

The entrance of America into the war at one stroke dissolved three Harvard organizations: The League for A Declared War, The Student Defense League, and the Committee Against Military Intervention. Two of these were pressure groups whose work was done; the third was a pressure group which couldn't stand the gaff. But actually they were only paper organizations to whom placing verbiage in the Crimson was the end-all of existence. And they deserved to fall.

In contrast to its defunct rivals the Liberal Union has been active-successfully campaigning, picketing, protecting, civil-liberty. If this is a war for freedom Harvard men may well spend the ardors elicited by its outbreak in actively promoting the American cause. Rejection of civil enterprise is denial of democracy. Executive Council,   Harvard Liberal Union.