Yale Gears Its Facilities To Support U. S. War Effort

300 Students Crowd Recruiting Offices

Taking all possible moves to contribute to the nation's war effort, Yale University has been the center of enormous activity in the past few days, an analysis of Wednesday's Yale Daily News reveals.

Led by football captain Alan E. Bartholemy, three hundred Yale men flocked to New Haven' Army, Navy, and Army Air Corps recruiting stations on Monday and Tuesday, anxious to enlist. The Elis turned up in droves, but most of the applicants were turned away because they had forgotten their birth certificates.

One man was accepted for Air Corps training, however, and seven others were given a physical examination. Captain W. J. McCracken, president of the examining board told the aspirants that they might be trained together in groups of twenty, provided they passed their physicals.

Scholastic Exams in February

Men with two years of college experience are eligible for the Air Corps, the captain continued. Men not meeting the education requirement are eligible for scholastic examinations in February.

Naval applicants seeking commissions were referred to the New York office, since the New Haven office handles only V5's--Naval Aviation--and V7's. V7 registration is temporarily restricted to men with Engineering degrees.

Students enrolled in Yale's Civilian Pilot Training Course will probably be permitted to continue their flying if they fulfill certain stipulations. The flyers are required to pledge allegiance to the United States flag, swear that they would not take Japanese sympathizers in the air with them, and establish their citizenship.

Earlier in the week, President Charles Seymour told the Elis that "the greatest service which students of Yale can reader to their country at this time is to carry on their studies though the normal course."

Athletic Future In Doubt

Seymour and high athletic officials of the university are conferring with Princeton and Harvard authorities, and also with the Army, to decide what course of action will be taken on inter collegiate athletics.

On the air warden front' sixteen juniors and seniors have already signed up for work, and others interested in the field are still applying for positions. They will be civilian leaders in case of air raid. Lookouts have been posted in New Haven to be on the alert for approaching planes.

All students over 21 are being re-registered, as a result of draft head Brigadier General Hershey's order. According to the Secretary of the university Committee on Selective Service, the war will not halt the action of the Yale committee in recommending deferments in local boards where it is best for the national defense to do so.

Japanese Students Held

The school's two Japanese students are being held by the police, as the result of a warning phone call on Sunday by a member of the New Haven Health Department, who has since admitted his "misjudgment" and has been the center of much local publicity.

Echoing the university's policy, the News commented editorially: "In the turmoil of the hour it should be remembered that if we are to create a better world out of this war we shall need trained leaders for the years to come. The student who remains conscientiously at his talks until the opportunity for even greater service is open to him in fighting this larger war."