STICKMEN WILL MEET INDIANS IN PRACTICE BATTLE TONIGHT

Jayvees, Needham Tilt On Skating Club Double Bill

By John C. Bullard

Dartmouth's Indians, full of pep but pretty rough around the edges, are in town again, this time with skates and hockey sticks, and tonight they are scheduled to do unofficial battle with the Crimson in the feature half of a double header at the Boston Skating Club.

The second attraction is a regular game between the Needham Hockey Club and what would be the Junior Varsity if Harvard had a Jayvee hockey team. Hostilities will start with the first period of the Needham game at 7:30 o'clock, and thereafter both games will proceed alternately.

Ice Drought Hits Indians

For those many months the Hanover redskins have been waiting patiently for it to get could enough to freeze their rink, which depends on Mother Nature and not modern inventions for ice. Before yesterday's cold snap ice was not forthcoming, and so Eddie Jeremiah, coach of the Green squad which faces a tough swing through the west during the forthcoming holidays, suddenly changed his mind and accepted Clark Hodder's invitation for an unofficial game, which previously had been regretted.

In the time between these two different communiques from the mountains Hodder had seen fit to sign up Needham for a game, and this accounts for the double feature. Rumors that free chinaware or bank nights are being planned in the near future were emphatically denied by manager Bill Haneman.

This evening will afford Hodder the opportunity he has been waiting for to see all his skaters in continuous action. With two games in the same evening every stickman still on the squad will have a chance to show how good he is, and the Crimson personnel will have to be reduced by at least one line, a pair of defensemen and a goalie, before it can be considered a workable unit.

The visiting Hanoverians are potentially powerful, but at present almost completely without practice. Jeremiah has a group of Sophomores on his squad who last year as Freshmen nosed their Crimson counterparts 2 to 1, and he plans to use for his first line a '44 trio. In Captain Ted Lapres at goal the Green has an experienced operative, and the defensive posts will be filled by two football players, Johnny Kroll and Harry Gerber.

Green Looks Green

But when seen yesterday Dartmouth did not look good. Their timing was way off, and the squad looked as though it would take a lot of work to get them in form to win games. The Harvard six, functioning more smoothly every time it takes the ice, should find little trouble in subduing the opposition, who are down here for practice anyway, and not to avenge what happened in October.

Dartmouth will present Harvard with its first collegiate competition. In previous games the Crimson has defeated the Lynn Crescents 18 to 1, the St. Nick's 5 to 3 in overtime, and the Boston Junior Olympics 5 to 2. Only the St. Nick's game was official.