STUDENT COUNCIL SUGGESTS MIDYEAR DEGREES FOR 1942

All in "Fluid State" Says Dean Hanford

Seniors who are called for service at midyears may get their degrees after all if the recommendation which the Student Council made to the Administration yesterday is followed. The resolution, introduced by John C. Robbins '42 and approved unanimously, says "The Student Council urges that, pending permanent policy, the Administration use every means at its disposal to facilitate the securing of Harvard degrees in February by Seniors leaving College after midyears to join the armed forces of the United States."

Interviewed on the subject yesterday afternoon, Dean Hanford said that the Council's resolution was receiving careful consideration, and that present requirements will be interpreted as liberally as possible for men who can prove that their induction or acceptance as a volunteer is imminent.

However he said that "war degrees" will not be granted except as a last resort because of the necessary lowering of standards involved. Possible ways and means include the giving of special exams, the existing midyear divisionals, credit for course work or papers in absentia, and the like.

Hope to Give Majority Diplomas

The war degrees of 1917-18 were granted only after the men had completed a year of military training, and anything comparable in this war would be governed by the same rule, he said. However, it is hoped that by individual consideration of each case most men can be given regular diplomas sooner or later.

Everything is in a "fluid state" at the present, Dean hanford said, but provisions will be made wherever possible for 1942 men entering the armed forces in February if they are short not more than one course and their divisionals. Those who fall below that standard will be in a special and less favored category.

Council Backs Plans

Council Chairman Eugene D. Keith '42 said last night that this was substantially what the Council desired, and that "it boils down to the extent of the new facilities provided. If no stone is left unturned to aid this year's Seniors in fulfilling the requirements and securing their degree, the immediate end will be achieved.

"After that there remains the problem of determining a settled policy for the rest of the war period. This may entail drastic changes in curriculum and method, but when conditions such as the government's draft policy and its effect on colleges becomes clear, the transformation can safely be made.