FESLER'S WESLELAN QUINTET UPSETS CRIMSON FIVE, 33 TO 31

By A. EDWARD Rowae

Harvard's 3 to 31 loss to Wesleyan in basketball Saturday night at Middletown, Connecticut, may be just the kick in the pants that the Crimson hoop squad needs to wake it up if it expects to salvage even a few games this season when the competition gets stiffer.

The loss, which is the second straight defeat in three starts this season, was due to a combination of the fact that the Crimson team so far has been playing on its reputation and the fact that ex-Crimson coach Wes Fosler has been hiding a surprisingly well-coached and determined group of Sophomores under his wing.

What may be called a mild case of Senioritis has hit the Crimson squad, resulting in a general letdown of the playing calibre and being most apparent in the poor shooting of most of the veteran Seniors on the team.

The Crimson team took more shots at the basket than its rivals, but its listless, over-confident attitude allowed the Cardinals to have the upper hand throughout the entire game.

Wesleyan led all the way, and it was only when Coach Earl Brown inserted his second quintet that play perked up for the Crimson. The second five, sparked by Ed Rothschild, including Bill Webber, George Dillon, Bunks Burditt, and Jack Torgan, who finished up the first half, cut Wesleyan's lead from seven points to a mere two, the period ending with the score 23 to 21.

In the second half, the home forces played defensively to protect their slim two-point lead, which they kept to the end of the game. Play was so tight in the last five minutes that neither team sunk a basket.

Crimson scoring was distributed fairly evenly among the 10 men who made the trip, with Chick Lutz the only one to net over five points. He sank four field goals and one foul shot for a total of nine. Ed Buckley, Joe Romano, and Rothschild accounted for two field goals apiece.

High scorer of the contest was Wally Sadowski of Wesleyan, who compiled 11 points, although Captain Bud Finegan held him to only three field goals.