Blood Volunteered To Red Cross by 240 Men

Winthrop Begins Drive For 2000 Donors to Aid Defense

Two hundred and forty students have already volunteered to contribute a pint apiece for the Red Cross Blood Bank, which is being sponsored here by the Defense Service Committee.

House Master Dr. Ronald M. Ferry, associate professor of Biochemistry, opened the campaign at the Winthrop Christmas dinner last Thursday when he urged the Puritans to give up blood and it was continued last night when 60 men signed up at the Leverett House dinner as prospective donors.

Winthrop has responded with 80 volunteers, and the Committee is now seeking to have registration systems set up in all the Houses and graduate schools. A goal of 2,000 units, which involves the collection of one pint of blood from at least that many men, has been set for the entire University.

The campaign here is part of a nationwide program to provide 200,000 units for the use of the Medical Departments of the nation's armed forces, whose present stocks have been declared "utterly inadequate" by the Army and Navy Surgeons-General.

Donors must be over 21, according to the Red Cross statement, and those under voting age who wish to contribute must have their parents' permission in writing. Cards for this can be secured at Phillips Brooks House, although a simple letter would do.