College Skiers Prepare For Winter Snows

Ski Patrol Formed to Eliminate Accidents

To promote safety among skiers, to prevent accidents, and to take care of those unfortunates who do get into trouble, the rapidly expanding Harvard Safety Patrol was formed early last Spring by a group of enthusiastic college skiers.

Fully equipped for emergencies, the patrolmen have plenty of excitement each Winter rescuing people with broken arms, legs, and hips, but even without the aid of a toboggan, Stephen Winship '42, head of the group, last Spring successfully moved an injured man down Mount Mansfield. Finding a skier with a broken ankle on one of the trails, Winship had to improvise a vehicle from skis and poles. He then guided his charge laboriously through the darkness over difficult terrain to the bottom of the mountain.

The Safety Patrol belongs to the National Ski Patrol System, an outfit which has done invaluable work in supplying first aid equipment to ski centers from Maine to Alaska.

Membership in the Patrol is open to any participant in the Outing Club or the Ski Club who takes a basic first aid course and who thinks as does Steve Winship that "it's the most important angle of skiing right now."