COURSES OPEN TO RADCLIFFE

Girls Will Pursue Graduate Studies With Boys Next Fail

Radcliffe girls will take all their graduate courses with Harvard students next fall, as the result of an economy measure adopted by the Faculty at their meeting Tuesday afternoon, it was learned yesterday.

The Faculty action is emphatically not a step towards coeducation. William S. Ferguson, dean of the Faculty of Arts and Sciences said, pointing out that the resolution is limited to one year.

A lag of about 200 students in the enrollment of the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences, expected here because of the draft and the national defense effort is responsible for the rule.

Affecting less than 200 Radcliffe students, the resolutions will not lead to an increase in the enrollment of graduate courses, Dean Ferguson said. Duplication in Harvard and Radcliffe courses are eliminated by the Faculty action, which will make it possible to conduct the courses with fewer Faculty assistants.

The rule is in line with the general Administration policy of reducing the number of assistants in the Faculty so that replacements will not be necessary when junior Faculty members are drafted.

The resolution reads: "To open in 1941-42 to properly qualified students of Radcliffe College all courses in the group primarily for graduates." It is in accord with an old Faculty rule of admitting qualified Radcliffe girls to a graduate course with the instructor's consent.