N.Y. AIN'T WE:

For the past five years the National Youth Administration has been one of the largest items in the University's boneheap of contentions. By now, thanks to students' articles, deans' reports, and government propaganda, it has been chewed down to the very marrow. The latest addition to the process of mastication is the Student Council's report on the subject, favoring adoption of the N.Y.A. Work Program by Harvard as soon as possible.

This report, although it adds little new material to the subject, states its case in a convincing manner. It answers the arguments which have proved the downfall of the plan's adoption when it has been considered by the University in other years. It points out that there need be no fear of the government's using the program as an opening wedge in a sly campaign to take over Harvard, because no federal officials will be given any direct say in the selection of workers or jobs; all that will come from Washington is manna. Finally, it cites the cogent fact that N.Y.A. is no longer a temporary scheme, likely to be dropped in any session of Congress, for the Work Program enjoys the support of both political parties and a secure position in the Federal Security Agency. After describing how N.Y.A. would supplement the T.S.E. and how it would affect the individual student, the report concludes with the decision that its subject is unqualifiedly a "good thing."

While the report may have little direct influence on the opinions of the officials of the Administration; it should have one solid effect. Coming from the representative institution of the undergraduates and meeting with its complete approval, the report demonstrates that the student body, or at least that part of it which is acquainted with the facts, is behind the Program. Coupled with the logic of the case for the defendant, this consideration should be a powerful one in the deliberations of the powers that be.